Enrollment as a graduate student at վ is compulsory for the course credits to fulfill in each program, except for the internship and the thesis that can be completed in locations other than Rome. Due to federal regulations, students enrolled in theFederal Student Loan program for graduatescannot complete their internship or thesis in the United States.

The thesis defense will be scheduled in Rome in December of Fall Semester II.Students are expected to defend their thesis in Rome at AUR unless other arrangements are granted under extraordinary circumstances and at the discretion of each program director.

Visa and Permit to Stay

If you have , you do not need to apply for a visa.

If you require one, it is your responsibility to ensure that you obtain your student visa before arriving in Italy.


All students holding a non-European Union passport are required by law to obtain a student visa before departing from their home country. Without a valid student visa students can not apply to obtain their Permit to Stay.

The visa application can be a lengthy process, therefore we recommend that students inform themselves of visa procedures in advance.

Students must obtain their student visa after receiving approval of their acceptance. AUR Admissions Office will send each accepted student a visa letter which along with all other necessary documents they take to their.

Students should check with their local consulate to make sure they have all the necessary documents before presenting their application. Please contactadmissions@aur.edushould you require assistance.

Please note that the student visa should be obtainedprior to leavingone’s home country. It is not possible to apply for such a visa in Italy.

Permit to Stay

Upon arrival in Rome, all students who are citizens of countries which are not European Union Members must obtain a permit to stay in Italy (Permesso di Soggiorno per Studio). This permit is issued by the local police authorities (Questura). The University will provide relevant information and assistance to you upon arrival to secure your first permit to stay. However, it is your responsibility to comply with current stay requirements and secure the applicable documents.

Required Documents. To facilitate the process of obtaining the Permit to Stay, you must provide the following:

  • 1 photocopy of your photo ID in the passport and the Italian Visa as presented in the passport
  • 1 photocopy of health insurance (see chapter below)
  • 1 photocopy of AUR enrollment letter stamped by the Italian Consulate

Please bring these items with you during Arrivals Week for your meeting with the AUR Permit to Stay Consultant.

The permit to stay process is regulatory in nature and the applicable rules change frequently. Students are encouraged to consult the arrival materials distributed each academic semester for the most up to date procedure/requirements. Students residing in housing contracted through the University will need to present the listed documents and follow the instructions given by the Student Life Office during the arrivals week.

The actual permit is issued at a later date and needs to be picked up in person. We advise students to periodically check the list of the issued permits posted at the police station.

Renewal of Permit to Stay

The permit to stay for study is normally granted for the period of one academic year. Therefore, it will expire and needs to be renewed within 60 days of the date of expiration. Students who need to renew their permit to stay must submit through the post office their request for a “rinnovo” and will have to provide the following documents:

  • 1 photocopy of your photo ID in the passport and the Italian Visa as presented in the passport
  • 1 photocopy of health insurance
  • 1 photocopy of a credit card, bank statement or a letter of financial support
  • 1 photocopy of AUR grade report stamped by the University

It is the responsibility of the student to renew their stay permit. Student Life will assist with any related questions.

Health Insurance

Private U.S. medical insurance will only be accepted if the Italian Consulate issuing the visa attaches a cover letter in Italian stating the conditions of the policy and indicating that there are no restrictions. Italian health insurance that complies with the applicable standards can be purchased on campus upon arrival or before hand on line.

is available to assist you in obtaining Health Insurance for your time abroad. Italian Health Insurance may also be purchased privately. The insurance is a pre-requisite to receiving a student visa and entitles you to emergency health care in public hospitals.

European Union Citizens

do not have to apply for a permit to stay. All EU students who plan to study in Italy for more than three months are instead required to provide the Registry Office (Ufficio Anagrafe) with the reason for their stay in Italy and with their local address. To carry out this official registration you will need the following documents:

  • A valid European Union ID/Passport (bring a photocopy with you also)
  • A copy of the health insurance. As an EU citizen you should have received from your National Health Service an Insurance Card that entitles you to medical and hospital assistance throughout the European Union. Make sure you bring it with you to Italy
  • A bank statement or other document that demonstrates that you have the financial means to support yourself
  • A copy of the AUR enrollment letter

Please note that there are several Registry Offices in Rome; the one that you will need to register your presence at depends on your address in Italy. For assistance in identifying your particular Registry Office and for further guidance please contact the Student Life Office.

For further information on student visas, permits and health insurance please contactstudentlife@aur.edu.